Divorce doesn’t have to wipe out your bank accounts. As you make your decision how to proceed, you have options:
- Divorce Mediation (up to 97% less expensive than hiring 2 lawyers): A good divorce mediator will walk you through the process with compassion, help you reach the best solution possible, get all the docs prepared and filed, and complete your divorce quickly. This typically ranges from $3,500-$6,500 TOTAL with Affordable Mediation, up to $10,000 or more with other mediators.
- Hire Lawyers: Each of you hires your own attorney and pays, on average, $30,000-$100,000 ($15,000-$50,000 EACH). And that may not include a trial. If you go to trial, you could be looking at significantly higher costs.
- Document Preparation: Hire a professional to prepare the documents for you, then you file them in court. With Affordable Mediation, this will typically cost $2,495-$3,495. This includes our “Mediation Lite ” service where you will also receive mediator guidance and support start to finish. Other mediators may charge $5,000 or more.
- DIY: You prepare the documents, pay the court filing fees, and file in court on your own. This is free (except for court filing fees, which you pay with all options).
Not All Mediators Are the Same
For most couples, Divorce Mediation is the preferred way to go over hiring separate divorce attorneys. Once you make that decision, it’s important to hire the right divorce mediation firm. You want a Divorce Mediation attorney who is:
- Experienced: You want the confidence to know that your divorce is being handled by a skilled, experienced expert. With over 12 years in divorce mediation and over 28 years in law, we have experienced quite a bit and that experience can be helpful for you during the process.
- Compassionate: Imagine completing your divorce with compassion and dignity. A good mediator needs to bring that compassion to the table.
- Dedicated to Successful Mediation: Many divorce mediation attorneys are part of a larger law firm not focused on mediation. It’s just one service offered among a list of other legal services. You want a divorce mediator who is focused on only mediation and associated services.
- Positive Psychology Approach: A divorce mediator who has a background in psychology can bring the human element to your divorce, providing a caring and supportive environment where you can feel heard.
Schedule a Consultation Today. Call 602-714-7447.
Do You Need a Lawyer to Get Divorced?
No, you don’t need a lawyer to get divorced. You can do this yourself. You can either prepare all of the documents yourself or hire a firm to prepare them for you. In both cases, you will need to file those documents with the courts. The costs associated include court filing fees ($623 in Maricopa County) and document preparation fees. You run a few risks with a DIY divorce, including:
- Making a not-so-clean break: You’re likely to forget some important items that will linger and cause further negotiations and interactions with your spouse.
- Less than equitable future: The great thing about having over two decades of divorce mediation experience is that we get to see the long-term results. That makes us better at creating a divorce agreement that takes care of both parties long-term. A DIY divorce runs the risk of an inequitable split.
- More fighting: You’ll be doing all of this with your spouse, rather than through a professional mediator. That typically opens wounds and creates contention.
- Mistakes and Do-Overs: The court process is complicated. It can be a maze if you don’t know how to navigate it.
Still Have Questions?
Give us a call today. We’re happy to talk with you, answer your questions, and help you make the best decision on which way to go about getting your divorce. Call us at 602-714-7447.
Download our Divorce Mediation Checklist to help you get prepared.